Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A not so perfect summer Sunday

I work hard the whole week..well pretty hard. My little seven month daughter occupies a large part of the day and the night. I do a bit of dentistry, read on food, blog on food and bit of cooking here and there. So as the minutes turn into hours and hours into days, even before I realize its a Sunday. I try very hard to make my sunday special.  Get up thinking of all the breakfasts I can do to impress my hubby. Or of making the special sunday lunch I have been having as a kid..Rajma chawal. But before my thoughts can be turned into actions.. the heat gets on to me. Summers in Jaipur are harsh and unforgiving. At 46 degrees, the whole body systems are just occupied with one thing..beat the heat! So between my thoughts and them turning into action lies the intolerable heat, and I try hard to fight it. Eventually the heat wins and  like a totally lost opponent, I just keep lying down on my bed with the AC on.

Coming from a more cooler regions like Mumbai and Pune, I am not used to such harsh long summers...more psychologically than physically. Lazing out a whole day is quite a waste for me. But unfortunately at 46 degrees, one is just helpless. So me, my hubby along with my seven month daughter just spent the entire sunday doing..Nothing!! you got it..absolutely nothing ! While my husband completely enjoyed lying like a crocodile, around six thirty in the evening I decided this is not my Sunday. I pulled my husband and myself out of the bed, put on some presentable clothes and drove to the Chaat wala...to have GOL गुप्पस!

Gol guppas or pani patashas or more colloquially  puchkaas are a favorite among the north Indians and can now be found in other parts of the country aswell.  Described in simple words, its fried wheat discs served with tangy spicy water along with potatoes and chickpea fills. The make of the this spicy water is a piece of art in itself. As I opened my mouth as wide as I could to get the whole guppa in, I could almost instantly taste the wonderful concoction of a million spices put together in the perfect quantity. With a  unique combination of sweet, sour, bitter, spicy, hot, tangy, chilly this water fills the mouth almost instantly and while I was  still wondering which flavor is it, the chaat wala thrust another one of the water filled guppa in my bowl. By the time I finished having one, I said 'what the heck..just enjoy it'. With a trail of fire still on the tongue, one just cant stop enough of it. Finally, the chaat wala usually rewards his customer with  some of this magically spiced up water as if confirming that its just never enough.

Starting as a hot lazy day, I ended my sunday with spiced cool all time favourite Gol guppa.

While one can sit and fry all the puris to make the guppas, I found it much easier to just follow this recipe to make it simple ..

1. One packed of ready made guppas
2. One boiled potato , mashed with salt and red chilly powder.
3. Black channa boiled.
4. Tamarind sauce ( Soak the tamarind in ½ cup of warm water for approximately 45 minutes. Strain out the pulp to get tamarind water.Add mint leaves, chopped coriander, ginger, chilies and cumin seed. Add a little water and mix to a smooth consistency using a blender.)
5.  Pani puri masala. (Even jal jeera masala can do the trick)


Extremely simple..mix the mash potato and channa in one plate. Take chilled water in a bowl. Add pani puri masala and tamarind sauce in the water. As per your taste add the masala. To make it more tangy you can also add rock salt and jeera powder. 
Now take the puri in the palm, delicately crack the puri by making a hole in the center with the thumb without breaking the whole puri. Stuff the potato and channa. Fill the rest with the tangy chilled water. Open the mouth wide and pop the whole of it in.






No comments:

Post a Comment