Friday, June 17, 2011

Cilantro- the leaves with beauty and flavor

When someone says the word hara dhania or cilantro, there is a rush of unique freshness and flavour that comes to my mind almost immediately. Even though it is one of the most widely used herb for garnishing Indian food, I believe it has the ability to do much more than just garnish a dish. As a little kid when I went vegetable shopping with mom, she always insisted upon getting some free dhania stems in the end of the long argument on payments with the vegetable seller. I would be surprised at the way the vendor would eventually put these stems generously while still grumbling demanding more money. This was a ritual followed each time we went vegetable shopping. Today I realise, some free dhania stems can do so much in my kitchen, I rather spent that extra time arguing with the vendor to give it to me than not have it at all.

There are certain dishes that I can recall where cilantro serves a purpose more than garnish, without which one small but significant element in the recipe would be missing. for example what is pav bhaji without fresh fennely chopped cilantro sprinkled on it or what is dal tadka without cilantro in it. When added in minute quantity in buttermilk or raita it can make huge difference in the flavour. Infact, green salads have a distinct flavour when this fresh herb is added along with lime. I cannot miss the most amasing lemon coriander soup and dhania chutney !

I firmly beleive, this delicate slender herb is used for garnishing because of its beauty. The rich green cilantro when added on the top of cooked food is like that precious stone studded on the crown that magnifies the beauty of the crown. Its contrasting rich green colour not only adds beauty but also symbolises freshness and health.

One of my personal favourites is a Maharashtrian dish called koshambir which uses cilantro for its rich flavour rather than just looks. This recipe is an healthier alternative to simple curd or boondi raita.

1. One bowl of cold curd.
2. Chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum
3. roasted peanuts
4. half teaspoon ground sugar
5.Salt and red chilly powder
6.Cilantro

Extremly simple..just beat the curd to a raita consistency. Add all the above ingrediants. Mix and serve chill. The cilantro added is just around the same quantity as the other vegetables..clearly for its flavour.
When I made it for my hubby he liked it and said "the addition of capsicum and coriander was a midas touch in this". My husband confirmed the power of cilantro and I smiled cause I had found the topic for my blog.

If you have any similar story or views please share and or comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment